CRL Monthly Review: Passive Electronic Component: Monthly Report: JANUARY 2020 Review
JANUARY 2020 MARKET UPDATE:
• The Capacitor Market Index Declined by 5.2% in January on a Month-to-Month Basis With Weakness in The MLCC, Tantalum and Aluminum Segments
• The Declines In Capacitors Were Lead by Sharp Drops in Demand for MLCC, especially sharp declines in pico-farad and high cap MLCC.
• Demand In Tantalum Which Began in November and Continued in December, Lost Steam in January and Slowed Down.
• Film Capacitor Supply Chains Remained Off Balance as Demand Continued to Increase for Axial and Radial Leaded Designs amidst Heightened Demand for Snubber X/Y Caps
• Resistor lead times increase
• Inductor lead times increase
• Copper price rises 35% for the month:
• Palladium prices increase 23% during the month
• Capacitor lead times DECREASE
• December 2019 Quarter Downgraded to -3% Q-to-Q Instead of Flat
• March 2020 quarter outlook- down 8% in value quarter-to-quarter
• AVX DOWN 8%, WALSIN DOWN 10%, YAGEO DOWN 5%, SEMCO Down 5.5% Q-TO-Q FOR DECEMBER.
• QUICK MESSAGE:
• Weak Component MARKETS, ESPECIALLY CAPACITORS
• RESISTORS AND INDUCTORS SHOWING SIGNS OF A TURNAROUND
• RAW MATERIALS PRICES SPIKING- PALLADIUM AND COPPER UP SHARPLY